We all know there are so a lot of distinct coaching approaches, training plans, and coaching personalities. Many gymnastics coaches successfully get their gymnasts stronger, but they do not automatically incorporate sufficient sport specific coaching into their programs. I have noticed gymnasts benefit from the general toughness workout routines this kind of as push ups, but when it comes time to perform particular expertise the gymnast’s muscle groups are not usually well prepared, accustomed to the sequence of actions for the abilities, or sturdy ample in every situation needed to properly comprehensive the ability.
Gymnasts truly require a selection of education to include activity particular instruction besides general strength conditioning in get to far more closely simulate the capabilities in our sport. For instance, numerous straight arm exercise routines these kinds of as the entrance lateral raise, push handstand, or planche drills a lot more closely simulate gymnastics expertise than bent arm workouts such as the press up, bench press, or reverse dips.
Below is a single straight arm exercise that has helped a lot of gymnasts strengthen their chest, shoulders, and again muscle groups, turning into more robust in two very essential motions. Considering that the gymnast frequently must be able to open up and shut the shoulder angle throughout expertise on uneven bars, I have included a very helpful workout which incorporates the two up and down movements. This a single should assist her learn to effectively changeover from 1 arm movement to the up coming with simplicity. Image your gymnast carrying out a glide kip, solid handstand, obvious hip handstand. She will have to reverse shoulder movements a number of occasions within this short interval of time. As soon as you see the shoulder movements essential to hook up these abilities you will see the motives I experienced for incorporating two workout routines into one particular drill much more than a ten years in the past. This workout in fact alternates the motions of opening and then closing the shoulder angle.
Lie Down Forged/Kip Drill (Barbell / Firming Bar)
one. Spot your gymnast in the course of this exercising. Give her complete recommendations before she starts the exercise.
2. Environment Up: Have your gymnast lie on her back again in between two folded panel mats with her arms over her head. Her head should continue being amongst the mats, but her hands and wrists ought to go beyond the mats in order to let the bar to almost touch the flooring soon after it is lifted over head for entire variety of movement.
three. The folded mats have to be a number of inches higher than your gymnast although she is lying amongst them for basic safety causes. The bar must be prolonged sufficient so that every stop can relaxation on the heart of one of the mats. The bar will be lifted from and returned to the mats with no touching your gymnast. There need to be adequate clearance for your gymnast to slide in or out although the bar rests on the mats. Though you will be spotting your gymnast, the mats will also assist prevent the bar from touching her. If a single mat on each facet is not substantial sufficient, you should use two folded mats on every single aspect. If the bar is introduced down as well speedily or falls, it need to land on the mats, not your gymnast. This is a very protected exercise when the coach and gymnast hold security in head.
four. After the mats are set up, spot the bar on the mats and make confident it will not slide between the mats or roll off.
five. Commencing Place: As soon as the mats and bar are in location, instruct your gymnast to sit among the mats, slide her legs underneath the bar, and then lie down. She need to placement herself so that the bar is earlier mentioned her hips.
6. When positioned, permit your gymnast to grasp the bar and then straighten her arms. Instruct your gymnast to preserve her arms straight, but not to lock them.
7. ninja warrior Be mindful the bar does not shift to an unsafe starting up position.
8. Subsequent, instruct her to carry the bar up towards ceiling and then toward the floor earlier mentioned her head to simulate a solid to handstand motion with her upper entire body.
nine. Remind your gymnast to proceed to maintain the bar securely and then let her to lift the bar off the floor, toward ceiling once again, and then reduced it to the mat above her hips to simulate a kip with her higher entire body.
ten. Enable your gymnast to continue with several repetitions if she is in a position. Inform her that it should be a constant movement as soon as she is relaxed.
eleven. Your gymnast will most likely need to have far more location lifting the bar from the mat (the initiation period) which includes the shoulders (deltoids) than she will on the return stage which requires the again (latissimus) muscle tissues. Be prepared to location all phases of this exercise. You can have 1 coach location each and every part. To location the lift from the mat, kneel on one particular of the mats to aid your gymnast lift off the mat. Kneel near her head to place the elevate from the ground. Make positive you can get to the bar, particularly when it is over your gymnast’s body.
12. Begin with the lightest bar feasible, perhaps even a broomstick to make certain appropriate safety and type. After accustomed to this workout, your gymnast can use weights on a barbell or a toning bar, but it need to usually rely upon her toughness and encounter. If you are utilizing a bar with no weights, you can wrap a thick towel close to every single conclude to help avert your gymnast’s knuckles from touching the floor.
The next workout is much more clear. This one particular also will help the gymnast with particular gymnastics skills due to the fact she will be in and out of a handstand. The Planche – Digital Handstand – Planche Drill is a excellent workout for human body tightness, handle, upper entire body toughness, and core power. This drill is an proper physical exercise for gymnasts on so several levels, which includes these predicted to execute the forged handstand and clear hip handstand on bars in the in close proximity to long term.
one. Instruct your gymnast to stand with her back to a spotting block or mat stack, spot her palms on the ground, and then area one foot/ankle on the block. When your gymnast has one foot/ankle on the block, she can then spot her other foot/ankle up on the block.
2. Now your gymnast need to be in an elevated press up placement with her feet on the block. Your gymnast’s legs, hips, and upper body must continue being off the floor through this exercising.
3. Now that your gymnast is in the elevated thrust up position, instruct her to move her hands closer to the recognizing block and her shoulders forward in purchase to type a slight planche placement.
four. Once your gymnast is in the planche place with her feet on the block, instruct her to squeeze her buttocks and then to pull her stomach button in. You need to see the lower portion of your gymnast’s back again elongate into the right minimal again placement for a handstand (pelvic tilt).
5. After your gymnast has formed the correct form with her reduced physique, instruct her to push down on the floor and pull in her chest concurrently. The part of your gymnast’s back in between her shoulder blades need to rise toward the ceiling. Your gymnast has just carried out a protraction / shoulder shrug in the planche press up position. To support teach the shoulder shrug touch the portion of your gymnast’s back that is amongst her shoulder blades and ask her to drive up on your hand to kind the rounded back.
6. Instruct your gymnast to keep that tight shape during the relaxation of the physical exercise.
seven. To start off the exercising, instruct your gymnast to carry 1 of her legs up toward the ceiling, but to keep her other foot/ankle on the block. Your gymnast’s body, with the exception of the foot/ankle even now supported on the block ought to have moved as one unit up to the single leg, or digital, handstand. The leg that is pointed towards the ceiling need to be the a single forming the handstand shape alongside with the higher human body.
8. Your gymnast’s shoulders, hips, and one ankle must be directly earlier mentioned her palms even though the other leg continues to be supported on the block. Notify your gymnast that her hips and shoulders ought to remain square with the block. Her buttocks need to be beneath, belly in, hip opened, upper body in, and shoulders in a shrug/stretched placement. Remaining square and limited is not always straightforward for the gymnast.
9. After your gymnast is in the appropriate one leg, or digital, handstand placement she can get started the return motion by little by little lowering her cost-free leg back to the block and shifting her shoulders slightly ahead so she returns to the planche press up situation. Your gymnast’s body ought to shift as one particular device to the starting up position. Instruct your gymnast to keep her head in line with her backbone, neither tucked in nor tilted back.
10. Following, instruct your gymnast to return to the one leg, or digital, handstand place by lifting her totally free leg back again up earlier mentioned her hips so that she is vertical, with the exception of her supported leg. She have to also open her armpits back up, and square her shoulders and hips with the block. Your gymnast need to carry her shoulders and head into alignment for the right handstand condition once more. Instruct your gymnast to search at the ground just above her palms for the planche and then at the block for the handstand.
eleven. After your gymnast understands the motion of the digital handstand to planche and back to the handstand, question her to comprehensive a handful of repetitions just before halting if she is in a position.
12. Notify your gymnast not to planche way too much forward until she builds strength and gets to be extremely cozy so she does not collapse.
13. You should also tell your gymnast to talk when she is fatigued so that you can enable her to relaxation. This physical exercise places tremendous force on your gymnast’s wrists. You ought to permit her to relaxation when she communicates that her wrists are receiving fatigued.
This physical exercise, when carried out appropriately, carefully simulates the shoulder motions of the cast handstand and obvious hip handstand on uneven bars. You can use a ground bar as extended as the floor bar is secure.
The continual modify in shoulder angle causes a modify in the demand from customers on your gymnast’s upper body muscle groups. Your gymnast ought to produce toughness in a wide variety of positions soon after executing this drill usually and constantly more than the training course of time.
As you can see, these workout routines are so much diverse from press ups due to the fact of the straight arm instruction which so closely simulates gymnastics expertise. Your gymnast’s whole higher human body will be challenged with this workout. If executed often and consistently this drill must aid immensely with all round higher human body power in addition to distinct gymnastics capabilities.
Despite the fact that the thrust up and bench press are fantastic workout routines, they do not actually simulate the gymnastics skills of female gymnasts. Gymnastics expertise have to be simulated in a secure manner in order to teach a gymnast’s mind and physique to carry out gymnastics skills securely and proficiently.